Google Fred is an algorithm update that targets black-hat tactics.
Google Fred Updated was released on March 7, 2017.
Fred a nickname give to a series of Google updates starting in 2017.
According to search engine land Fred targets low value content sites that put revenue above helping their users.
It targets black hat tactics tied to aggressive monetization & overload ads with low quality website.
Fred update is mostly impacting the black hat side of the industry.
This include overload on ads , low value content, and little add user benefits.
Google Fred algorithm was specially made for blogger only.
How do we know that our site is penalized by Fred Update:
Ranking drops and dop in organic traffic would be indicator that our site has been impacted by the Fred update.
Why is it called Fred?
Fred updated as a suggested joke from Gary Illyes that all updates be named Fred
Websites wee affected by Fred update:
– Large presence of ads
– Content usually I blog form & all sorts of topic created for ranking purpose.
– Content has more ads or affiliate links
– Quality of content is for below industry specific sites
– Deceptive Ads (Ads that appear as content)
– Thin Content
– Aggressive Monetization
– Poor Quality Link
– Poor Content Quality
– UX Barriers
How to overcome Ranking drop?
– Scale down ads & increase the content quality
– Scaling back the number of ads in site.
– Placement of ads in your site. Do they contribute poor user experience.
– Be sure content serve the user purpose.